Re: Oboes in klezmer music

For the first few years of KCB I lugged my oboe around and played it
regularly (it's my main instrument).  Eventually, it seemed superfluous in
light of the rest of our orchestrations, and I tended to play it only in a
solo context, with harp, koto, or string quartet, but I've never made any
professional recordings of these contexts.  Brandwein's solo stuff and
Shloymke Beckerman's, if you can find it, are particularly adaptable for
oboe.  I've taught a bit of klezmer oboe at New England Conservatory over the
years, but don't know if any of my students are currently active. --Hankus
Netsky