Re: What is klezmer?

Of course our gevalt klezmer musician *and* klezmer music historian Henry is
correct that "klezmer music" only refers to *some* Jewish folk music--one
species of it, as it were.  But I think, w/ all deference and respect, that
to assert that "klezmer only refers to instrumental music" just won't do,
un- (significantly) qualified.  *Of course* Henry is correct--as if I would
be the one to correct him!--re the traditional European music that is the
source and inspiration for today's klezmer musicians.  But
lexicographically, not to mention market niche/industry label/record store
bin--wise, the term "klezmer" has clearly "generalized,* as lexicographers
put it, for better or for worse.  And Henry himself was the first to teach
me (and others) this, when he said on my YEDID NEFESH radio program too many
years ago (in the 70s, gevalt!) that the klezmer repertoire had expanded in
this country (in the revival) to encompass a vocal repertoire.

A creative, if slightly impish, definition of (not esp. Jewish) "folk music"
that I may have shared w/ the list comes to mind:  One wag--but meaning it,
I think, quite seriously--defined "folk music" (a term about which I also
keep files ...) as "music that folk music audiences (in coffeehouses, folk
music festivals, etc.) accept as folk music."  I.e., if Pete Seeger sings
Berlin's "Blue Skies" at a concert, most people attending wouldn't say, I
think, that they had been to a concert of mostly folk music and some other
songs.  Ditto, instrumentally and in re, say, a record, when Pete recorded
the "Ode to Joy" from Beethoven's Ninth on a classic Folkways record of
banjo tunes.  SO:  If a recognized klezmer band, at a klezmer concert or on
a klezmer recording, does Yiddish folk or popular or theater melodies (as
many have done--including Henry's Kapelye!), I don't think that means that
the recording is of klezmer *and* non-klezmer music--or, anyway, would be
received and recognized and accepted as such.

The key, I think, might be to recognize klezmer in the klezmer revival
(which I think is an *excellent* term to use, btw) as referring to a
*style*--or "styling"--of *playing* music.  A comparison:  I have a record,
I think w/ Roger Sprung of the original Washington Square (NYC) folk revival
scene, playing "Erev Shel Shoshanim" in, I think I remember, a vaguely
bluegrass styling.  And the wonderful contemporary band Salamander Crossing
(now olev hashalom--alas!) plays at least one Beatles song and some other
such material in distinctly, markedly bluegrass stylings.  In fact, other,
more specifically bluegrass bands have recorded Beatles songs and other pop
material.  Does that make the Beatles songs involved bluegrass?  Of course
not.  Does that make the recordings (tracks or albums) on which such
renditions appear no longer bluegrass?  I don't think so.  These are
bluegrass versions--stylings--of non-bluegrass repertoire songs.

So, in theory (and maybe many times in practice?), I think a klezmer band
could play *anything* in a klezmer style and not disappoint either
audience/listeners or presenters (esp., presumably, if such material was
part of a broader mix including more, or mostly, traditional klezmer
repertoire--though a "concept album" of only non-traditional repertoire
could presumably be attempted).  The ultimate example, presumably, was KCB's
(I think it was their?) playing Xmas melodies w/ what I and others thought
was a *distinctly* Jewish ta'am (flavor) on a recent PRAIRIE HOME COMPANION
(though I know, this being a Jewish list, that some found it
offensive--oy!).

Does this make sense, and speak to, anyone?