Re: recording

I'd recommend a "home recording" only if done with high quality mics onto a
DAT recorder or multi-track. It is possible to do very good CD quality
recording with a reasonable ($2000-3000) investment into equipment. There
is also the learning curve to consider, you don't want to compromise the
quality of your music with less than adequate engineering skills. An
important thing to consider as well, some people find it difficult to wear
multiple hats; musician, composer, engineer, at the same time. If you work
in a studio, I've produced/engineered CDs that cost anywhere from $1000 to
$15,000 and have seen that how much you spend depends on many factors such
as; needs for lots of overdubs, mixing or other musicians. Doing a live to
2 track recording is an inexpensive way to record, however, it often takes
the most preparation to pull it off. Whatever mode of recording you choose,
pre-production planning is quite important, it's easy to spend lots of
money in the studio working out ideas. Try to work them out in advance,
while you're not on the "clock"...Many musicians (such as myself) end up
learning engineering skills so as to have more access to infinite amounts
of studio time. In my opinion, don't scrimp on the quality, regardless of
how small or large your recording budget is. If your music is worth putting
out on a CD, it's worth the extra costs in recording it well.

Seth

.

>What about home
>recording? What does it take to 'polish' a 2-track home recording (recorded,
>say, on a Radio Shack mixer tinto a stereo tape deck) into something
>releasable? Or would it be much, much wiser to rent some studio time?

McDuffee's General Store & Recording Co.
Seth Austen & Beverly Woods
3 Pork Hill Rd Ossipee, NH 03864
(603) 539-8301
acoustic (at) landmarknet(dot)net