Re: the Hatikvah melody

Hope Ehn's advisement was wonderfully enlightening, and added *much* to my
understanding/knowledge of the sources of the ubiquitous "wandering melody"
(as folk music historians call it) that found its way into "Hatikvah"--thank
you!  Pete Seeger used to do a little demonstration of the travels undergone
by this melody, but he began w/ "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star"--which he
confidently described (even in Carnegie Hall) as "a melody you'll all know."
  He pointed out that melody in the Norwegian song "Oleanna," a Swedish
hambo (couples dance) melody, and many others and mentioned that Mozart had
written piano variations on it (K. 265, "Ah, vous dirai-je, maman"); then
switched it into a minor key and came up w/ a Ukranian dance melody and,
slowed up, "Hatikvah"--which is pretty close to one of the variations in
Mozart's piece.  I wonder how old "Twinkle, Twinkle"--as *that* song--is? --
Robert Cohen