    Chronological -->
Find
    Thread -->

Jewish music?

I spent New Years eve with family at First Night in Ridgewood, NJ.  A highlight
was two concerts by Oscar Brand, the noted singer, writer, and teacher of folk
music.  We heard part of his first concert and all of the second - which wasn't
a repeat of the first.  In the second, Brand talked about other folk song stars
he knew, and one of his stories is repeated here because it should interest
those on this maillist who want to define what music is authentically Jewish.

Brand talked a bit about Woody Guthrie.  He said that Guthrie married a Jew and
they lived in the Brighton Beach section of Brooklyn.  Immersed in a Jewish
culture, Guthrie took a lively folk melody from Louisiana and wrote new words
to create a Chanukah song.  Brand sang the song, which I thought was OK - not
great.  But there was nothing about it that identified it as the work of a
non-Jew.

I don't think of a Christmas song by a Jew (e.g., White Christmas) as Jewish
music.  Can't a Chanukah song by a non-Jew be Jewish music?

B.t.w., a later event we went to was a concert of "Jewish Folk Music" by Mark
Levy.  He included songs that had no Jewish content, along with others that
were definitely Jewish in origin and content.

    Chronological -->     Thread -->