RE: (A Tangent:) What to call "contemporary Jewish liturgical music"

> There is, BTW, a tangential issue. Is it proper for us to be using some of
> this music, written by Orthodox men, on Shabbos, with instrumental
> accompaniment, or is there something perverse in that?

Many recordings of contemporary Orthodox-oriented music come with explicit
instructions for them NOT to be played on Shabbos. I'm no authority on
halacha, but it seems to me that to play their music with instruments on
Shabbos would violate the intention of the composer (for whatever that's
worth).

--Seth Rogovoy