-----Original Message-----
From: owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
[mailto:owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org]On Behalf Of Robert Cohen
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 1999 1:06 PM
To: World music from a Jewish slant
Subject: (A Tangent:) What to call "contemporary Jewish liturgical
music"

What's the matter w/ "contemporary Jewish liturgical music"?!  That--or
something like it--is the term that David Shneyer and I will use on the
compilation CD we're producing--a compilation, that is, of ... contemporary
Jewish liturgical music (though, admittedly, only 18 species of it, and
confined to that which originated in this [post-60s] generation.  And btw,
Adrian left out an important chunk/subset of the music American Jews pray
to:  viz., the "Orthodox folk music," certainly very much inspired by Shlomo
Carlebach and the culture that inspired _him_, that begins, more or less, w/
THE RABBIS' SONS (mostly Baruch Chait's melodies/niggunim) and finds its
quintessential expression, perhaps, in the music of D'VEYKUS (mostly Abie
Rotenberg's) and REGESH (Shmuel Brazil's).  Some of these melodies are now
part of services, Shabbat tables, weddings, etc., of many or all
denominations (or none).  PLUS:  the music of the Fabrangen Fiddlers
themselves (and David Shneyer) and Safam (Robbie Solomon et al.), and others
not in the circles that Adrian _did_ include. -- Robert Cohen

>From: "Adrian Durlester" <durleste (at) home(dot)com>
>Subject: A Tangent to What is Jewish Music
>Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 19:55:19 -0600
>
>Chevra:
>
>I've no desire to step into the debate of "what is Jewish music?" but I
>would be curious to find out how readers of this list might answer this
>question, which I posed to the Hanashir list, which is:

I have been searching for adequate terminology to
>describe this genre, but as of yet have been unsuccessful. I lean towards
>"contemporary Jewish liturgical music" but even that can be a bit too
>exclusive. I'm open to suggestions on this one. The genre needs a name.
>Contemporary Jewish Liturgical or Contemporary
Jewish Folks seem inadequate. Suggestions welcome. How do we categorize all
this music, and what can we