Re: "Jewish Americana"?

"Americana" is, I believe, a term coined in the radio industry to describe a
particular slice of music--i.e., from the point of view of the music
industry.  FWIW, I would reserve "Jewish Americana"--if we are to use it at
all--for English-language songs by Jewish singer-songwriters that in some
way or other/to some degree or another engage w/ Jewish identity or culture.
  (There was a concert of "Jewish singer-songwriters" the other day at the
Knitting Factory, I believe, which I very much regret missing--though I have
no idea whether or not I would have liked, or at all responded to, what was
performed.)  I don't think it makes sense at all applying it to contemporary
folk-style settings of liturgical or Biblical (Hebrew) texts--or of original
English liturgy or quasi-liturgy either, for that matter. -- Robert Cohen
(signing off for the day!)