Hebrew/Yiddish question ...

Could someone remind me? ... I have it confused in my head:

Was Hebrew a conversational spoken language before it was established as the
official language of the new state of Israel?  If so, who was speaking it
before that?  Or was it like Latin for the Catholic Church, used only in
religous contexts like prayers, torah study, etc.  Was it "standardized" for
Israel?  If so, who did that?

Also, I am recalling there was controversy over using Yiddish as the official
language ... some felt it was a language of oppression, and as such, not a good
one for Israel.  Is this so?  Who decided?

zay gezunt,
bj

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->