Re: promiscuous fusionizers

>In my experience, the word "promiscuous" is usually trotted out by the envious
>and the vengeful in an attempt to besmirch somebody's character because they
>are perceived as having too much or the wrong kind of close interpersonal
>contact.
>I don't like it.

I would like to add my voice in support of Wolf here. There is certainly
a lot to be said (and I suspect that we will continue to say it) about
what is tradition, and how it can be changed by whom and how the result
speaks to whom, but surely there is no reasonable way to quantify the
quality or depth of fusion by character assassination.

I would consider the Klezmatics far more in the mainstream of klezmer
tradition in most positive and living senses than many flaccid
"traditional" bands I have heard.

And, too, to associate fusion with promiscuity, as though a bad thing,
when talking about a music originally fused from many older styles,
does raise exactly those issues we tend to go back and forth discussing
here ;-).

ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/