Re: Buena Vista Social Club

There may be no obvious Jewish connection to "Buena Vista," but there's a
profound universal one.  A movie like this one can inspire anyone to
appreciate the richness of music in the context handed down from the older
generation.  In the mid 1970s, when I was trying to figure out what to do
with all the klezmer music I was collecting, I couldn't find any Jewish model
that showed me what might be possible.  Instead, I looked to Mick Maloney,
who unselfishly shared the treasures of Celtic culture with hundreds of
enthusiasts from all kinds of backgrounds.

Our "Buena Vista" might be "A Tickle in the Heart" (with Joel Rubin as Ry
Cooder), and we've had other films of this sort (Jackie Borock's "A Joyful
Noise -
The Lost Jewish Music of Philadelphia" and Michal Goldman's "Jumpin' Night in
the Garden of Eden" are two documentaries that push the older genaration
connection), but a film like Buena Vista will get through to millions who
will never see the others.  A film like this could indirectly show them the
possibilities within our Jewish cultural heritage.   -Hankus