Re: Buena Vista Social Club

Though I agree with Hankus, I think a better filmic corollary to "Buena
Vista..." would be "In the Fiddler's House". In both cases, the one screen
interlocutors (Cooder and Perlman) are from outside the music community being
represented and who include (or, depending how you feel about them, intrude)
themselves, into the film and by extension into the musical folklife of the
community.
And then they're gone.
In any case, people like Cooder, Perlman and also Paul Simon (with his
utilizing South African music) or Mickey Hart or David Byre, bring the ethnic
music they present to a far vaster audience than anyone working within the
community could ever hope to accomplish.

Henry Sapoznik