Israeli Folk Music

Good thing for the current discussion of Jewish music books.  I'm
particularly interested in Israeli folk music, not from before 1948 but
basically from Statehood through the Sixties.  The chalil / accordion music
commonly sung by Karmon Israeli, Oranim Zabar, etc.  I have not been able to
find English-language histories, critical or popular.  Anyone aware of an
encyclopedia-type or narrative on this? I'd think that something must have
come out for Israel's 50th...Also interested in a comprehensive multi-CD
retrospective.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!
Ron Orenstein
ronoren (at) aol(dot)com