Basia Frydman

I would like to talk about an artist and CD that I bought about a month
ago, thinking I would only moderately enjoy it, but find myself being
very drawn to it and listening to it over and over.

The artist is Basia Frydman and the CD is "Farbotene Lider" (forbidden
songs). Forbidden songs were Russian folk melodies with Yiddish lyrics.
According to the liner notes "It was forbidden to speak or even sing
yiddish, but the songs were smuggled to Israel where they were
published".

In addition to well known tunes such as Friling, Ikh Hob Dikh Tsu Fil
Lib and others it is wonderful to hear Yiddish versions of Russian
chestnuts like Tzvey Gitares (dvye gitari - Two Guitars) and Andriusha.
But equally moving to me is her interpretation of this music. It is
cabaret music done in Yiddish (and English and Swedish). Her singing and
the excellent playing of her band (all Swedish musicians from what I can
gather) has to me overtones of Marlene Dietrich, Kurt Weill and Jacques
Brel while still staying absolutely true to its Yiddish roots. This is
very sophisticated music. It conjures up images of a very small,
intimate venue. It is very tempting to imagine cafes in Eastern Europe
with artists like Basia Frydman performing regularly, were there still a
Yiddish speaking community in Europe.

(It is also fun to hear verses of familiar songs sung in Swedish)

Her album is generally available. I would like to hear what other list
members think.

Dick