Re: Kol ishah

Even as a man, I quite agree with and share Judith's feelings.
Incidentally, the issue of a man hearing a woman's voice (kol isha) goes
back to rabbinic texts.  As usual, the original proscription widened and
widened with time; it was a saying of one particular rabbi and had to do
only with the problem of a man being distracted while trying to say the
She'ma by hearing a woman singing.  This was expanded to encompass ANY
hearing by a man of a woman singing.  By the way, Yeshayahu Leibowitz, z"l,
HATED this pseudo-issue and I heard him argue vehemently (in his usual
style, even viciously) against its stupidity and a-halakhic presumptuousness.

Jonathan Schorsch