RE: Psalm 133 and The Battle Hymn of the Republic

In a message dated 9/21/99 10:21:15 PM, bloom (at) gis(dot)net writes:

>By the way, I understand that melody to have been originally written as
>the
>Methodist hymn 'Oh Brother Won't You Meet Me On Canaan's Happy Shore.'
>After John Brown's failed revolt, the song 'John Brown's Body' was set
>it.  During the Civil War, Julia Ward Howe's poem 'The Battle Hymn of the
>Republic' was set to it (it was originally published without any suggested
>melody.)

Not to be a stickler about titles and attributions that have nothing to do
with the original question asked, I will reprint a bit from my original
response (don't get angry if you've already read it?I apologize in advance).

I quote from myself (how brash...):
>I recommend anyone who wants to learn about the fascinating origins of some
of our most favorite (and unfavorite) pieces of music get the Dover reprint
of James J. Fuld's terrific book _The Book of World Famous Music: Classical,
Popular and Folk_.

There is a very complete history of this tune and I am too lazy to type in
four pages of information. But I do want to correct two things: the oldest
(and perhaps, the original) title of what we now call "Battle Hymn of the
Republic" is "Say, Brothers, Will You Meet Us?" going back to 1857. "John
Brown" (not "John Brown's Body"...) appeared and was copywritten in 1861,
after Fort Sumter was attacked. And the John Brown referred to in the song
was not the famous abolitionist, but a sergeant at Fort Warren.

But don't take my word for it?check out Fuld.<

Some additional information from Fuld: the earliest written record of the
text to this song is found in the 1857 publication _Camp Meeting Harp and
Revival Chorister_ (I do not think that this is a Methodist publication), but
no copy of this book has been found. The earliest text and music is from 1858
in _The Union Harp and Revival Chorister_ the words and the music entitled
"My Brother Will You Meet Me" with the opening words "Say my brother will you
meet me." It includes the music that we know as the "Glory Hallelujah"
chorus, but no lyrics for it. A separate publication from December, 1858,
entitled "Brothers, Will You Meet Us?" with the opening words "Say, brothers,
will you meet us" and includes both the words and music this time to the
"Glory Hallelujah" chorus. I quote from Fuld: "The opening words of the song
are "Say, brothers, will you meet us," and the song became know as a
Methodist hymn by this title." Julia Ward Howe's poem was written in the
morning of November 19, 1861, without the "Glory Hallelujah" chorus and with
no indication that it was to be sung to the melody of "John Brown." The first
published edition of "the Battle Hymn of the Republic" with both the music
and words is from April 9, 1862, with the words "attributed to Mrs. Dr. S. G.
Howe" (rather politically incorrect....) and that the words were "adapted to
the favorite melody of Glory Hallelujah."

That's all I have the patience to type in. If you're fascinated by this as
much as I am, (I am easily entertained), check out Fuld.

Best wishes,
Steve

Steve Barnett
Composer/Arranger/Producer