uncredited music on CDs

On, I think, the last _four_ CDs of (or partly of) liturgical folk music
that I've seen or heard, there was at least one--and as many as
four!--misattributed or, usually, _un_attributed melodies that actually have
known composers.  In folk music history, this is called "losing the
composer" and is paradoxically a sign of success:  I.e., a song or melody
loses its composer--and is thenceforth attributed to "Traditional" or
"Anonymous"--usually only when it's really "made it" as a folk song and is
accepted by the community in question (folk/Jewish/etc.) as part of (i.e.,
worthy of inclusion in) their "traditional" music.  (A perfect example:  the
"traditional" "Shalom Aleichem," whose music was composed by Rabbi Israel
Goldfarb earlier in this century.)   So that's nice, in a sense, and
certainly it _is_ a part of the reality of folk and traditional music--but
surely recordings of the songs or melodies of such unheralded composers
ought to properly credit them, not to mention pay them royalties as per the
requirements of American law.  Yet many musicians just don't _know_ whose
music they're recording--sometimes despite the best of intentions and the
most conscientious of efforts.  (Especially so in the case of the four-cuts
CD I mentioned.)  I always try to get to the musicians or performers in
question w/ the correct data, and they're usually grateful for the
information and do their best to make things right.  (By the way, in one
case, a curious sort of _tikkun_ [fixing] had occurred, as a melody _not_ by
Shlomo Carlebach, olev hashalom-- whose melodies have continually, and
occasionally deliberately, been recorded w/out attribution to him--_was_
[mis-]attributed to him!  Still, this is hardly the way to go about making
things right vis-a-vis Shlomo's music...)  Other than asking me (not the
worst possible solution, but hardly an ideal one, and there are certainly
limitations to my recognition of such melodies), how can we help musicians
and performers to identify (or confirm the identity of) the composers of
liturgical melodies (niggunim) they perform?  Any thoughts?