"Ladino" primer

Hi, your message is a little confusing. DO you want to learn aout the
language, which is what the subject "Ladino primer" seems to suggest? Learn
a few songs? Seriously learn something about the tradition? On the
quick-and-easy level, you have my mini-bibliography/discography which Ari's
posted, and a longer version in Jewish Folklore & Ethnology Review, to be
updated soon. That will tell you the documentary recordings which are
commercially (or semi-commercially) available. Personally, I don't recommend
just learning a few songs and adding them, but doing as at least I would do
with any unfamiliar repertoire - spending serious time studying it,
listening, reading, learning at least something of the language and if
possible working directly with people from the tradition before even
thinking about performing any of its songs.
In any case, "Ladino" itself is a problematic term. Technically, it refers
only to the literal translation from Hebrew: the time-honoured example is
"la noche la esta" from "ha-laila ha-zeh", used in the Haggadah, instead of
the spoken "esta noche" (c.f. "the night the this"). Every community has its
own designations for the spoken language: in Morocco it's haketia (really
khaketia, with the initial guttural as in Khanuka - has anyone seen the
great Khaiku posting by the way?) In the ex-Ottoman areas it was spaniol, or
spaniol muestro ("our Spanish"), or djidio (literally, "Jewish", like
Yiddish) or djudezmo (same idea).Only relatively recently has "ladino" come
to be used for every variety of the language. Judeo-Spanish does cover it
all.
Similarly, there is no ONE version of the language, no standard. People who
teach it, mostly in Israel and France, tend to ignore haketia or pass over
it very superficially and concentrate on, often, Salonica Judeo-Spanish.
There is also no one singing style. It depends on the area, the host
culture, the type of song (ballads - romances - are not sung like wedding
songs, for example), etc.
And there is no one acceptable accompaniment. Unfortunately for ensembles,
it's largely, traditionally, an a capella repertoire, at least the older
genres - romances especially - and wedding songs traditionally just used
percussion, often played by women, Middle Eastern/North African style. The
more modern songs, roughly the past century-and-a-bit , respond better to
ensemble instrumentation, and that's what most people have heard on
recordings.
In the ex-Ottoman areas the older genres, again especially romances, are
often sung in MAQAM, the Middle Eastern modal system which includes
microtones which one can learn to play on, say, violin, or to sing, but are
not on keyboard or fretted instruments.
But the best thing is to listen, and listen, and listen....
unless, of course, one just wants to learn a few of the easy songs (in my
view, not the gems of the repertoire) and say one's added some Ladino stuff
to the group's repertoire....
cheers, Judith