Re: Israel Music Today: Piracy

Shalom Ari

Ari Davidow wrote:

> Moshe,
>
> At 12:29 PM 7/30/99 +0300, you wrote:
> >It is well known here that great part of the Israeli music piracy is
done by
> >the Palestinians.
>
> That may be popular Israeli prejudice, but it is not how the story
> is being reported. If you think about it, the entire purchasing
> power of all Israeli and West Bank Arabs could not come close to
> accounting for 80% of the CDs sold in Israel, even if they ONLY
> bought pirated recordings. Nor do Palestinians have the manufacturing
> capacity or the commercial contacts to be supplying them in that
> quantity.

You are mistaken at this point. The main manufacturing is done in the
West Bank,
and the Israelis make the marketing. My information comes from the
origin and not
from the newspaper. They are recording everything that "moves",
including Israeli
music, Chassidic, etc. That does not make the thing "Kosher"

> (And if Israeli music purchasers are like Israeli computer software
> purchasers, we can document that this is a national, not a racial
> problem, and quite serious, indeed.)
>
> Let's please refrain from injecting racism (in this case, unthinking
> blame of an unpopular minority for a problem) to our list discussions.

I think that the word "Palestinians" is not " Treif", and there is
nothing of
racism in putting the facts in the right place. I myself live in
Palestine and I
play "The frailache nakht in Palestina" without complexes.
All I wanted to say is  that on being "Or Lagoim", we have partners.

> ari
>
> Ari Davidow
> ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
> list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
> the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/

A gute Vouch

Moshe Berlin