Re: Spanish-Jewish Romance Songs

At 04:36 PM 7/15/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Dear Helen et al.:  There is, indeed, as Joel suggests, an extensive,
>centuries- or millenia-old tradition of "borrowing" melodies from
>secular/folk/popular sources for Jewish prayer--and such
>"contrafacta"--that's the [somewhat ugly?] musicological term for new
>words to an old/existing melody--aren't only (or mainly) transmitted by
>women!
>This tradition may go as far back as the Psalms, was already condemned in
>the Talmud, and was probably practiced by cantors in every age (usually to
>the consternation of the rabbis); it may have reached its apogee, though,
>in the Shabbat table hymns or zemirot (many of which were _intended_ to be
>sung to contemporaneous folk or popular melodies) and in the music of the
>Hassidim, who made of borrowing (spiritually appealing) melodies for
>prayer a mitzvah--a religious obligation.  (And BTW, such borrowing--the
>practice, after all, is ubiquitous in folk and popular music
>generally--sometimes goes in the opposite direction: Richard Farina used
>this same "Tzur Michelo" melody--if we want to call it that--for "The
>Swallow Song" [unattributed, of course!].) ...

I had heard that Farina had done a Sephardic melody, but never knew which
one - thank you so much!

A swallow song appears on:

Reflections in a crystal wind, Vanguard 1966 (LP), 199-? (CD)
The Best of Mimi and Richard Farina, Vanguard, 1971 (2 LPLs), 1988 (CD)

>There is considerable literature on this practice--Shiloah just devotes a
>few pages, I believe, though it's an astute account as I recall; my own
>modest contribution was an article in the August 1994 Moment magazine
>("We're Playing Their Song").  A scholarly article speaking to exactly
>Helen's area of interest is "Judeo-Spanish Contrafacts and Musical
>Adaptations:  The Oral Tradition" by Edwin Seroussi and Susana
>Weich-Shahak, which appeared in the journal Orbis Musicae; I inexcusably
>don't have the date but could no doubt find it cross-referenced somewhere
>else.

Judeo-Spanish Contrafacts and Musical Adaptations: The Oral Tradition.
Orbis Musicae 10 (1990-1), 164-194. (with Susana Weich-Shahak)

Two of the best contemporary scholars in Sephardic music. Fabulous
contributions.

>Hope this is helpful, Helen and y'all.

It was to me!

Joel