Re: Spanish-Jewish Romance Songs

HI, Helen.

This adoption of secular songs for liturgical purposes happened all the
time through the ages. Many scholars have looked at it; I am currently
particularly enjoying Amnon Shiloah's treatment in Jewish Musical
Traditions, Chap. 3, "Alien Melodies encroach on the prayers." He also
provides a detailed discussion quoting Moshe Vital about the role of the
Sephardi hazan in introducing "foreign" melodies. There is also a
discussion of the Hasidic precept of "sanctifying" a foreign melody by
employing it for holy purposes. (In case you couldn't tell, I can't
recommend this book highly enough...)

La Rosa Enflorece is one of the most widely recorded Sephardic songs. It is
also known by its alternate opening stanza, Los Bilbilicos (The
Nightingales.) I know of 120 examples, and this is just of the Ladino
version. I don't begin to attempt a count of its use as a melody for Tzur
Mishelo. BTW, I believe "La Rosa Enflorece" is not actually a romance
(which is a ballad which always comes in a particular format) but rather a
lyric song.

Anyway, happy surfing! Let us know what you uncover.

Best,

Joel

P.S.

No sample of Tzur Mishelo actually that I could see by Elias at the
Jewishmusic.com site. Were you listening to another song instead?