RE: Julio Inglesias Jewish?

Reyzl said:

>   I am annoyed at the fact that
>most Jews have lost connection to their own music, except for things like
>Fiddler on the Roof, and what they choose to sing when they want to sing is
>Black music.   I think they make these choices because that is what is
>considered the "cool"est and that's what's on the radio.    This is also
>what Jews from Reform to Conservative to modern Orthodox choose to play at
>their rites of passage celebration.   I find all this a cultural Jewish
>poverty, but I am sorry that I don't have time to write this idea up now on
>the list.  It will have to wait for another time.

A lot is simple lack of education, and asking one's self 'how could Jewish
music ever be cool'? Before I got into it, I used to think of Jewish music
as being Hava Nagilah, Maoz Tzur, and Hatikvah. Without some personal
research, I never would have heard of Naftule Brandwein or Salim Halali
(orginally, not an explicitly Jewish artist, though as of now I don't think
he can not be seen as one)- proof that Jewish music is actually extremely
cool. Of course, the education thing is true for most streams of music that
are not the mainstream. Usually it doesn't come over and hit you on the
head- you have to find it first.
                EK