Re: more meaningful discussion of jewish music

tanya kalmanovitch wrote:

>  But in a special
> celebration integral to a young person's spiritual journey, I'd opine it
> should fall in large part to the elders in their families and communities to
> determine what measure of traditional cultural expression befits a celebration
> of their children's' emergence into adult Jewish life (IMO this entails a lot
> more traditional Jewish music, and a lot less Puff Daddy).
>
> > Can we talk about something more meaningful?

I very much appreciated Tanya's cogent and well-expressed posting.I am very
much interested in the spiritual journeys of young people.In this vein, I am
concerned about the music that our cultural gate-keepers
make  availalble to these aforementioned young people.
As far as this posting goes, concerning live performance, anyway.

What is the selection process for the festival,  Ashkenaz?
A board member, who asks to remain anonymous, tells me this entire
responsibility rests (by fiat?) with one individual, -- the fest founder-owner.

Besides the obvious pitfalls and potential abuses of such a dictatorial system
--
cronyism, self-service and the follies engendered by perceptual limitations
due to one's level of cultural literacy --

I would very much like to hear from any cultural gate-keepers regarding their
selection process, criteria, etc.

Principals only, please;  no apologists.

Wolf Krakowski

Kame'a Media
www.kamea.com

"Only the violence and duration of your hardened dream can resist the hideous
mechanical civilization that is your enemy" -- Salvador Dali