Re: Bacharach (was: What Is Jewish Music?)

This reminds me of that wonderful Ben Stiller movie with Mary Tyler Moore
and George Segal as his adoptive parents. (For the life of me I can't
remeber the title.)

Anyhow, he goes off in search of his biological family, which he at first
believes is this California mom and her blonde twin "Valley Girl"
daughters. He accidentally breaks some of their furniture and belongings
and they forgive him, since he's "family." When it turns out that he's not
"family," they ask him for the money to replace the items. The blondes
aren't so cuddly anymore either.

I'm sure if we listened to Wagner we would consider it "Jewish music."
After all, wasn't his real father supposed to have been Jewish? All those
Norse Gods and Goddesses...just symbolism for his belief in "Hashem
Echad."

C'mon folks, Steely Dan? Perhaps Bob Dylan because of his early Civil
Rights consciousness, but Burt Bacharach? Although he did study with
Darius Milhaud and his father, I believe, was a notable Jewish educator,
Bacharach's music is about as Jewish as Dionne Warwick or the Shirelles.

Why don't we applaud the people who really work with Jewish musical
idioms, themes and ideas (several people on this list) and just accept the
fact that someone may be of a particular ethnic background but unless
they're exposed to, nurtured, or even vaguely interested in it, they won't
necessarrily express themselves in that fashion.

This reminds me of the 19th and 20th century German Jews who thought of
Felix Mendelsohn as a "Jewish composer" because his grandfather was Moses
Mendelsohn. F. Mendelsohn didn't have the slightest interest in Jewish
music. That doesn't make him any less of a great composer, but I certainly
wouldn't call him a "Jewish composer."

I'll shut up now,

Eliott Kahn