Re: Bacharach (was: What Is Jewish Music?)

On Seth's advice, I'll take a look and listen.  But on the face of it,
the Jewish Music connection seems tenuous at best.

If we use the, "I know it when I hear it test" would this music pass.
Or, if we would guess that this is Jewish music, how many other
musical works might we identify as being Jewish when, in fact, there
is absolutely no Jewish connection?  Is it possible that the Jewish
connection may become so tenuous, the tent so big, as to sound like a
Levy's rye bread commercial?  (Am I dating myself?)

Does it even pass the test that Robert posed (and, I believe, would
reject as being to weak)?  Would Bacharach say that he writes music as
a Jew?  Or, to continue that discussion, does it matter?  Is it more
important what others (e.g., John Zorn) say?

Is the litmus test of "American Jewish popular music" "a cultural
critique of pop styles, and one could make the case that this critique
is from the point of view of the outsider/Jew" (Seth)?  If so, how
does the work of other Jewish composers of the genre (e.g., Arlen,
Berlin, the Gershwin brothers, Sondheim, and on and on) fare?

Bob