RE: Bacharach (was: What Is Jewish Music?)

Wolf wrote:

> "Each morning I wake up
> Before I put on my makeup
> I say a little PRAYER for you..."
>
> Does the above lyric contain references to Jewish cultural practise,
> ritual observance,  folklore or social history?   Are the musical grooves
> especially <haymish>?

seth Rogovoy responds:

Actually I'd hope that anyone talking about this CD has actually listened to
it. I have and I find the thesis behind it quite provocative -- Producer
John Zorn lays it out quite clearly in his liner notes -- and the execution
quite suggestive. And I think there is much musical/lyrical stuff to chew
on. In general terms, Bacharach's unique musical convolutions can be seen as
a cultural critique of pop styles, and one could make the case that this
critique is from the point of view of the outsider/Jew. This especially
resonates when at the end of disk one on the song "Trains and Boats and
Planes," Fred Frith repeatedly intones the line, "You are from another part
of the world." Indeed....

p.s. I apologize in advance if I misattributed Bob's comments to Wolf or
vice -versa.