Re: What Is Jewish Music?

robert wiener wrote:

> I would be interested in a justification
> of the CD "Great Jewish Music: Burt Bacharach" on Tzadik.
>
> Bob

> To me, it is a pure marketing device.

Does it accurately and honestly portray the contents of the CD in any way
except as to the ethnicity of the artist ?  I don't think so.

Bacharach is a writer (some would say one the great ones) of pop songs.
I would think you could  comb his entire <oeuvre> and not find any
Jewish content.  I don't think one would find the word "Jewish"
associated with Bacharach during his entire career until the appearance
of the aforementioned CD  !!!

> However, the scenarios that provide the mental landscape for many of
> his songs could be seen by some as specifically Jewish, depicting a
> certain   middle-class trans-American Jewish experience ("Seinfeld",
> "The Nanny").

"Each morning I wake up
Before I put on my makeup
I say a little PRAYER for you..."

Does the above lyric contain references to Jewish cultural practise,
ritual observance,  folklore or social history?   Are the musical grooves
especially <haymish>?

Wolf

In this genre I would like to see a Slash and Lenny Kravitz compilation:
Suggested Title: -- Mischling:  Music of the Demi-Jews of Caliphornia