From:  Marvin Margoshes[SMTP:physchem (at) earthlink(dot)net]
Sent:  Friday, April 16, 1999 4:11 PM
To:  World music from a Jewish slant.
Subject:  Re: Very interesting article

-----Original Message-----
From: Reyzl Kalifowicz-Waletzky <reyzl (at) flash(dot)net>
To: World music from a Jewish slant. <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Date: Friday, April 16, 1999 3:47 PM

>Read the description again.  It's talking about the cantors.
>
>I personally can't relate to her music either.  Too American in sound  -
You are right.

>Reyzl

Your comment reminds me of a program that was on PBS TV about Jewish music
in various parts of the world.  (The program was made by a French group.)
At the end, there were interviews with some cantors in Jerusalem.  One was a
3rd-generation cantor in a family that was from Russia.  He complained about
the German cantors, who don't sound sad enough for his taste.

Debbie Friedman does have a following among cantors, including mine.  I
haven't noticed that many congregants don't like her music.  In fact, our
synagogue, in Tarrytown, NY, is setting up a concert by her later this year.