Re: Brave Old World 1997 release

Joel Bresler's message read, in part

>On the new release (a CD under BOWPRCD 3405027 1997 Pinorrekk Records
>Hambeug Germany) -- under the title or track "The Heretic (Hebre Libre)"
>and under the Yiddish title "Der Apikores" is an arrangement of two Ladino
>songs, La roza enflorese... & Los Bilbilikos...
>
>Does anyone know if this relase actually includes singing in Judeo-Spanish?
>If not, does anyone have contact information on vocalist Michael Alpert?

The piece, arranged by Alan Bern and Stuart Brotman appears on BOW's "Royte
Pomerantsn" - "Blood Oranges". It starts, in BOW's inimitable way, as a
roughly 5 minute instrumental arrangement reminiscent of modern chamber
music based on more or less traditional klezmer riffs/modalities and then
segues into two minutes of samba-sounding song - yes, sung in Ladino, the
melody of which was written by Michael Alpert:

        La roza enflorese en el arvol de la flor
        Mi alma se 'skurese, sufriendo del amor

        Loz bilbilikoz kantan kon sospiroz de aver
        Mi alma i ventura estan en tu poder

(which they translate as "The rose flowers, in the flowering tree/My soul
darkens, suffering from love"  "The nightingales sing with signs of
longing/My soul and my fate are in your power")

The rest of the piece is instrumental: several minutes of a quiet piano
solo  crecendoing into a short jazz arrangement based again on more or less
traditional klezmer traditional klezmer riffs/modalities.

A very beautiful, musically varied and interesting selection, in my opinion.

(Available from:

a bisl yidishkayt
Klezmer and related Yiddish CDs, tapes, videos, books
web site:    www.yiddishmusic.com
e-mail: klezmer (at) yiddishmusic(dot)com

phone and fax toll-free: 1-877-YIDDISH
(Boston area: 781-643-1957)

P.O. Box 400331
Cambridge, MA  02140