Re: Adon Olam et al

Perhaps we should do what is desirable.

Especially for those of us living outside of Israel, music is a
powerful means of connecting with Jews of the past and Jews in other
parts of the world.  Traditionally, nusah has been the glue that binds
us one to the other (as well as distinguishing different prayer
services one from the other).  With more and more congregations
ignorant of the role of nusah, we become less and less connected to
our history and our fellow Jews of today.  The wonder of being able to
walk into a synagogue anywhere in the world and feel at home is
threatened by substituting popular melodies for nusah.

Perhaps because Adon Olam, comes after the prayer service (and nusah
does not apply), it is most  likely to be sung in this way.  Perhaps
we use it as a transition for returning to the secular world outside.
For these reasons, I have been less concerned with musical
experimentation here.  But I have been persuaded by commentsabout the
seriousness and traditional uses of the text as well as its rhythmic
structure, that even here we should not be so quick to sing a
meaningful Jewish text to just any old (or new) melody.

Just because we can fit Adon Olam to most any tune does not mean that
we should.  For many, doing so sets a precedent for treating other
prayers in a similar fashion and dispensing with nusah.  Services
become compilations of greatest hit tunes, almost unidentifiable as
Jewish without the words.

I think that we should be increasingly vigilant in learning and
preserving our precious musical liturgical heritage.

Bob