RE: Adon Olam et al

Adrian:

Yes, "a well-wrought blend of tradition and modernity," I completely agree
with you. But congregants singing EVERY prayer is not a blend. It's too
much participation.

Why is it we Jews must always "participate?" Couldn't congregations sit in
silence for awhile and just "listen" to good music? You are as familiar as
I with church services: Protestant congregations will sing sing three
hymns and listen to the rest. Depending on the church, there will be two
or three "special music" sections per service. This seems like a
good balance to me.

I believe the intoning of Hassidic niggunim ("di, di") is a bad mistake
for American liberal denominations: i.e Conservative, Liberal, Reform. It
works for the Hasidim because nigunim are alive to them and an integral
part of their culture. But most liberal Jews lead far different lives,
have received a far more secular education and work and live in a more
assimilated environment. There's nothing more embarrasing -- yes
embarrasing -- to me than a group of well-educated, secular Jews who are
familiar with the great artworks of Western Civilization, going into their
house of worship and intoning "di, di, di" as some sort of holy
incantation. Surely we can do better than that.

Perhaps it wouldn't be such a "miracle" getting people into a synagogue if
we offered them music that both stirred them to worship and challenged
their intellectual and emotional sensibilities.

Eliott Kahn