RE: Adon Olam et al

I include my original post below so it may be read in its entirety.

I do not oppose people praying for themselves; it is certainly
the essence of Judaism and a very Eastern, meditative and successful
spiritual activity. I do not oppose people singing together; the joy of
anyone singing, especially collectively with others, is a heartfelt
emotional release and -- sometimes -- a genuine aesthetic experience.

What I do oppose are banal, awful tunes that have no connection to any
sort of spiritual history (i.e. nusah) and that are just plain BAD MUSIC.
Perhaps in the Orthodox shtiebels the tunes are of a better quality. I
repeat, in many Reform, Reconstructionist and and some Conservative
synagogues the tunes are simply awful -- simply because of the ignorant
desires of non-musical boards and -- yes -- non-musical rabbis.

If you
listen to great traditional liturgical tunes like Kol Nidre, the Yom
Kippur Yigdal, the "Leoni" Yigdal, Adon Olam, Ein Adir, Ein Keloheynu (yes
it's German and secular-based), the "great" High Holiday Aleynu, Binder's
Mi Chamocha, the Aguilar-De Sola "Etz Chajim, Helfman's "Ahavat Olam," the
traditional "Av Harachamim"...need I go on...you will realize that most of
the tunes that are being foisted upon the public now as "participatory,"
such as DEbbie Friedman's "And thou shalt love," numerous other Camp Ramah
songs and the pseudo-Hassidic niggunim are -- in my estimation --
musically inferior. Friedman's melodies need a guitar to work at all; just
as melodies, I'm afraid they're not that great.

Again, I do not wish to pass myself off as an authority on Hazzanut; I am
not. I was always under the impression, however, that the role of the
Sh'liach Tsibbur -- the predecessor of the Hazan -- was as messenger of
the people, to sing prayers up to God. Please, someone jump in and correct
me, if I have mis-interpreted. While I am aware that many late 19th, early
20th century cantorial pieces were performed at concerts, there appears to
be a rich tradition of fabulous cantorial singing at least back to the
17th century. Congregants did not sing along with the great cantors of the
Ukraine and Eastern Europe, however I'm sure they did participate at the
congregational sections. There were large nineteenth century choirs of
Meshorerim consisting of boys and men who accompanied the cantors,
sometimes in counterpoint. Surely the congregation didn't sing with them.

And, of course, in Germany a very rich cantorial and choral tradition
developed in the music of Sulzer, Lewandowski and other composers for
4-part choirs -- male choirs in the Orthodox, mixed choirs in the Reform
and Liberal congregations. These congregations joined in for hymns and
other important prayer sections. They certainly did not sing along with
the cantor during his solos or with the choir during theirs.

What I'm merely advocating is congregations employing professionals who
are trained as cantors, choir directors, soloists, organists, whatever,
and letting them do the job they were trained to do and raise the musical
standards in our synagogues.

Eliott Kahn