RE: Fusion Music -Reply

You might enjoy Davka, --they tend to be on the New-Agey side in this
effort (not a criticism at all-- I really dig their stuff).

>>> Eliezer Kaplan <zelwel (at) earthlink(dot)net> 01/06/99 10:54pm >>>
Along those general lines- I'd like to see (or maybe create) a music
that
pulls Ashkenazic Jewish music back to it's (possible) roots in folk
forms
of far eastern Europe or the Middle East- although there may be more
obvious connections in the use of certain harmonies (I'm not really such
an
expert that I can provide conclusive evidence of this- though this is
what
my ears seem to tell me), what I'd like to do is make or expose bridges
in
the rhythmic structure as well (how's that for a run on sentence). What
goes around comes around.
   EK

At 09:50 PM 1/6/99 -0500, you wrote:

>Sara:
>
>I was at David Krakauer's first Tonic show in December.  He was
magnificent.  The crowd was the usual mix for a NYC klezmer event:  half
70-somethings with blue hair and half 30-somethings, also with blue hair
(if you get my drift).  I was with a friend who had never heard Krakauer
before and when the show was over he just looked straight at me and in a
succinct deadpan declared, "That was simply the best clarinet playing
I've
ever heard in my life."  'Nuff said.

>- Mark Melnick
>
>P.S.:  If 3-way bluegrass/punk/klezmer fusion interests you, check out
the
Bad Livers' version of "A Yid ist Geboren inz Oklahoma" on their new
"Industry and Thrift" CD.

Red,
>and the sustained dissonances of David Krakauer's latest works - the
likes
>of which I was excited and gratified to witness at the Lower East
Side's
>Tonic last Sunday.  (Were any other listmembers there? It was so
awesome,
>and Naftule Brandwein's granddaughter was in attendance!).....
>Attachment Converted: "c:\earthlnk\eudora\attach\RE Fusion Music"

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->