Re: Contemporary Jewish Musicians: Are they making Jewish music? (e.g., Uri Caine)

At 08:25 PM 12/27/98 -0500, you wrote:
>EK,
>
>Absolutely correct.  Although I have heard Uri Caine both on disc and
>in concert (The Knitting Factory) I didn't even know about this latest
>project until I read your post.  It sounds intriguing.  I would have
>passed it right over from the track listing and there's no review on
>Music Boulevard.  How did you find out about it and what got you to
>buy it?  Does it work for you, musically or as Jewish music?
>
>Bob

For me, it works more as just plain music than as Jewish music, though
certainly not for lack of reference. I first heard about the project in the
program notes of a Don Byron show I attended last February, and heard more
about the album around the time Uri played it live at the Knit. What got me
to buy it was an interest in Uri's work with Don Byron as well as an
acquaintance with the original Mahler pieces. The album is OK, but not
really (IMO) 'top ten' material. Better to spend your fifteen bucks on Don
Byron's Nu Blaxploitation which features some fiery playing from Uri as well.
                        Ellie Kaplan

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->