Re: Having a feel for the music

My father loved Perry Como's Kol Nidre.  I understood Mr. Como learned it
when he was still a barber and had many Jewish clients - I don't remember
the details of the experience, but we owned the 78 and it was backed by Eli
Eli which my father also loved.  Perhaps the tradition Mr. Como learned it
from or the Hebrew pronunciation differs from those who are criticizing.  My
father grew up in Romania during the period of the first World War.  He was
brought up in an askenazic orthodox tradition allbeit his Hebrew
pronunciation differred from my maternal grandfather's Polish Hebrew
pronumciation and my other uncle's Russian Hebrew pronunciation, and also
differred from the ashkenazic Hebrew I learned in the Bronx.
Aron Brall

Richard Wolpoe wrote:
>Ideally, the performers should have a sense of the milieu, rote learning
sounds
>stilted.
>
>Perhaps Perry Como had that problem with Kol Nidre.  I love Perry Como's
>crooning style, but he might have missed the drama or majesty of Kol Nidre.
>
>I guess the same can be said when I sing an Italia aria, that is to say it
>probably sound awkward because I do not speak Italian.

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->