Re: Jews performing Christian holiday music

>On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, Kame'a Media wrote:
>
>> Any self-respecting Jewish person who hires him/herself out to perform
>> music sacred to Christians,  in a church, would do well to remember
>> brethren and sistren slaughtered, raped and maimed under the banner of
>> the cross
>> in years gone by.  To those who would reply that it's just another gig,
>> I would say, "Bollocks, <l'havdil> (there is a difference).
>>
>Isn't that like saying that any self-respecting Jewish person who enters
>a synagogue would do well to remember the people killed by the state of
>Isreal "under the banner of" the Star of David?

I was hoping that we could avoid this extension to our discussion.
There is always a political dimension to our acts. This list is
not a good place for such a political discussion, and is, in
particular, not a place to argue one moral high ground versus, or
even, in conjunction with, another.

There are certainly aspects to Jews performing Christian music,
or vice versa, that we certainly can discuss here, both practical
and otherwise. I'd say that a good way to figure out which is which
is to hold your finger up to the wind and check the "righteousness
factor." If the posting feels like something that can be reasonably
discussed, you're on the right track.

If the posting sounds to you more like a statement, or if you
can't imagine a reasonable disagreement, or if you find yourself
feeling righteous for making it, I would appreciate it if you took
such comments to a more appropriate forum.

ari

Ari Davidow
The klezmer shack: http://www.well.com/user/ari/klez/
owner: jewish-music mailing list