Re: Recent News--not exactly music

Judy,

I think your correspondent is mistaken about the technical aspects of this
important project. My guess it that they are scanning the books and
capturing "images" of the individual pages but NOT using character
recognition to input the contents into a database or machine searchable
corpus (the latter is a MUCH bigger task.)

There is no need for a markup and file format standard if they are taking
the latter route.

Does anyone else know for sure?

Best, Joel

At 10:51 AM 12/9/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Forwarding this from the Book People list. Hope it is of interest....
>Not exactly music.....but reminded me of our former topic of Yiddish and
>standards.....
>perhaps relevant to those talking about standards for transliterations and
>so forth as these items are digitized and catalogued. j.
>
>>Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 18:44:26 -0500
>>From: Gary Young <younggr (at) echo-on(dot)net>
>>Subject: Recent News
>>Sender: spok+ (at) gs1(dot)sp(dot)cs(dot)cmu(dot)edu
>>To: "'spok+bookpeople (at) cs(dot)cmu(dot)edu'" <spok+bookpeople (at)
>>cs(dot)cmu(dot)edu>
>>Source-Info: Sender is really spok (at) ux4(dot)sp(dot)cs(dot)cmu(dot)edu
>>

>>1998 Dec 07
>>The following item appeared in today's Toronto _Globe and Mail_
>>
>>"Fewer than 1 per cent of Jews still read Yiddish.  In January, a project
>will be launched to put the literature into computers.  "Yiddish will be
>the first literature to be 100 per cent digitized," Aaron Lansky says.  The
>digital library will be named after filmmaker Steven Spielberg, who donated
>$500,000 (U.S.) to the project."
>>
>>Good luck to them.
>>
>>Maybe they can establish a de facto standard re markup and file format.
>>
>>Gary
>>cs(dot)cmu(dot)edu
>>Charter:                         http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~spok/bookpeople.html

Joel Bresler
250 E. Emerson Rd.
Lexington, MA 02420 USA

Home:   781-862-2432
Home Office:    781-862-4104
FAX:            781-862-0498
Cell:           781-622-0309
Email:          jbresler (at) ultra(dot)net

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->