Re: barmitzvah tune

Hi Ernie,

Check out Tara Music's website or get their catalog.  They have two
volumes (ed. by Pasternak) of traditional European Chasidic music, which
includes the unbelievably beautiful nigunim which come out of the
Chasidic vocal tradition (esp. Modzitz).  As far as I know none is
specifically for a bar mitzvah, but many of them would be quite
appropriate (as well as generally authentic and wonderful to listen to).
Most of them are actually done by the greatest author/composer in all
Jewish history - Anonymous.  I play them straight on the flute (I have
not yet figured out how to play klezmer flute like a clarinet) but no
doubt they can be adapted (but not too much!)  I don't offhand have the
web address but if you just search on "Tara and music" you'll be sure to
get it.

 To listen to these and then try to imagine the person (maybe a woman,
even) who composed them and whose identity is now lost in the mists of
time,  is to discover a feeling of Jewish connectedness and embeddedness
in  time that  reading history per se will never give you.

Rachel Heckert

On Wed, 04 Nov 1998 00:00:22 +1100 Ernie Gruner / Cathy Dowden <
>Please can anyone suggest songs or tunes specific to barmitzvah or
>rites of passage? I was asked this question by a father attending a
klezmer workshop I gave recently. He is learning to play clarinet so that
he can play
>something special for his son's barmitzvah.
>My experience playing for bar or batmitzvahs has generally been for
>cocktails, dancing etc and I can only think of a few barmitzvahs with
>ritual - special music sections. This is in contrast to chuppahs.
>any suggestions welcome
>thankyou
>
>Ernie Gruner
>KALEIDOSCOPE MUSIC
>2 Cole Crescent, East Coburg 3058, Victoria,  AUSTRALIA   (Melbourne)
>E-mail: erniegru (at) mira(dot)net
>INTERNATIONAL: Phone 61 3 9386 7108   or 61 3 9386 0947
>                                Fax      61 3 9386 7108   Mobile  0418
>549 631

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->