Re: barmitzvah tune

At 12:00 AM 11/4/98 +1100, you wrote:
>Please can anyone suggest songs or tunes specific to barmitzvah or rites of
>passage?

Ernie, since in the old country bar mitzve celebrations were rather low-key
affairs, there's not much of a tradition of this.  But one song that I've
found which always seemed as though it might have a place at such a
celebration, or even in a service if appropriate, is called "Dos talesl" --
"The tallis" -- and is all about how the tallis is an "eternal garment"
that holds in it the stories of the generations, etc.

I have a number of recordings of it, but I don't know how available any of
them might be.  Your best bet would be the recording  "Folksongs in the
East European Jewish Tradition from the repertoire of Mariam Nirenberg,"
put out by Global Village Music in 1986 (GVM #117).

Hope this helps.

Sherry Mayrent
Wholesale Klezmer Band
www.crocker.com/~ganeydn