Re: Kurt Weill quartets

Forwarded for Judy--this message got caught up in some listproc
messes and didn't go through the first time. ari

Ernie:

A listing of string trios and string quartets (10 pages of listing) is
available in  the "Bibliography of Instrumental Music of Jewish Interest"
published by the National Jewish Music Council in 1970, compiled by Ira
Goldberg. Goldberg lists the publisher or source, duration and a brief
description of each work. If this bibliography is not available in a
synagogue or library near you, contact me off-list for more information. Judy
PS
(This and other reference works are listed with descriptive annotations on
my bibliography.)Judy

At 01:25 AM 9/6/98 +1000, you wrote:
>Kurt Weill string quartets sounds interesting...
>Can I extend the question and ask if anyone can list any other string
>quartets with a jewish bent? (preferably with composer, year, publisher and
>access)
>I have some music from Tara but wonder if there are any older collections
>floating around? Seems to me also that a string quartet could be set up
>like a klezmer kapelye, with the violins and viola alternating between
>melody, octaves and rhythm or secuondo style playing and cello doing bass
>lines. Has anyone tried this?
>I play in a string quartet although haven't done it a lot recently. At
>KlezKamp East (not West) I was inspired by the sounds of the Fidl Kapelye
>tutored by Deborah Strauss to get back into string ensemble playing,
>particularly for klezmer.
>thanks
>Ernie Gruner

Judy Fertig