Re: Kurt Weill quartets

Since I started this thread, I guess I ought to drop in again.

While Weill is Jewish, it would be hard to describe most of his music as having
a "Jewish bent", as Ernie suggests.  While he did write some things which are
specifically Jewish - most notable is his orchestral arrangement of Hatikva -
most are not.

Weill was one of a number of German Jewish expatriate composers who emigrated
to America before World War II.  Many of these composers wrote string quartets.
 They include Arnold Schoenberg, Ernst Toch (who wrote several quartets),
Joseph Achron, Korngold, Ernst Bloch.  Of these, Toch, Achron and Bloch wrote
music of specifically Jewish character.  However, I don't know if their string
quartets have any Jewish content in them.

Aaron Copland wrote a piano trio called "Vitebsk", which is Jewish in character.

Yoel Epstein, etses gibbers consultants
POB 8516
Moshav Magshimim 56910
972-3-9333316 (tel)