Re: Kurt Weill quartets

Responding to the message of
<3(dot)0(dot)2(dot)32(dot)19980906012558(dot)0072c238 (at) mira(dot)net>
from jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org:

> Kurt Weill string quartets sounds interesting...
> Can I extend the question and ask if anyone can list any other string
> quartets with a jewish bent? (preferably with composer, year, publisher and
> access)
> I have some music from Tara but wonder if there are any older collections
> floating around? Seems to me also that a string quartet could be set up
> like a klezmer kapelye, with the violins and viola alternating between
> melody, octaves and rhythm or secuondo style playing and cello doing bass
> lines. Has anyone tried this?
> I play in a string quartet although haven't done it a lot recently. At
> KlezKamp East (not West) I was inspired by the sounds of the Fidl Kapelye
> tutored by Deborah Strauss to get back into string ensemble playing,
> particularly for klezmer.
> thanks
> Ernie Gruner
>
> Ernie Gruner
> KALEIDOSCOPE MUSIC  (Jugularity, Kalinka, Klezmeritis, Bronwyn Calcutt, etc)
> Phone +613 9386 7108    Fax +613 9386 7108
> 2 Cole Crescent, East Coburg 3058 , Victoria,  Australia
> erniegru (at) mira(dot)net
>
> check out JUGULARITY's Homepage  (NEW UPDATES of SOUNDFILES, PICTURES & PUNS)
> http://www-personal.monash.edu.au/~sci148k/
> @@COMING UP!!    JUGULARITY'S 10th anniversary concert and new album
>
> .  I don't have a quartet, but I wrote a one-movement trio in 1987 that is
based on Sulzer's 'Shema Yisrael.'  It's quite quite a few performances,
including one on a chamber concert of the St. Paul Chamber Orchetra, curated by
1988 Pulitzer Prize winner, Aaron Jay Kernis.  The critic for the St. Paul
Pioneer Press called it 'a jewel,' 'the best' [of the six works on the program,'
and 'perfect.'

Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni Distinguished Teaching Professor of Music
Adjunct Professor of American Studies
University of Minnesota
100 Ferguson Hall
Minneapolis, MN 55455