Re: The Forward

>Hi there gang, The Forward has a nice feature about new Jewish music. It
>talks about Kabalas, Charming Hostess, Shloinke, and Benny and The
>Vildachayas. Gideon Aaronoff wrote the article that looks at groups who are
>doing edgier, rebellious, tongue in cheek, Jewish music.

Hi, this is Jeff Dorchen of Shloinke. I just got to read Gideon's excellent
article in the Forward (June 19). It made all four bands sound damn
interesting. I'm certainly more interested in my own band and my own eloquent
self than I've been in several weeks. I even feel better looking.

I'm sorry to have left you hanging so long without a response, Benny. I was
out of town. I don't know what the excuse of others on the list might be. I
know from past experience that they aren't holding their tongues because they
can't think of anything nice to say.

Ari wondered why Chasidic New Wave and New Orleans Klezmer All-stars weren't
included in the article. I haven't heard CNW, but knowing Frank London's work
it is undoubtedly musically masterful. The All-stars as well are incredibly
accomplished, even jobbing, musicians, and it shows in their sound. I haven't
heard any of the other three bands' CDs mentioned in the article yet, but in
Shloinke's case the indie-rock sensibility infusing our music precludes
virtuosity over all. A couple of us are kick-ass, even jobbing, musicians --
but our sound, I like to think, represents a triumph of creativity and
satirical wit over technique.

As the end of the millennium approaches, triumph over technique is the
independent artist's only hope for escaping the tyrannical circumscription of
the cultural logic of late capitalism. In other words, as far as Shloinke is
concerned, we're cool because in many ways we suck, but we won't let that stop
us from making a self-important racket which we will continue to dignify by
explaining our shortcomings as satirical if not political strategies. And
there's nothing you or the Boy Wonder can do to stop us! Ha ha ha!

I'm also interested in swapping CDs with the other bands in the article. There
must be a Kabbala or two on the list, yeah?

Any other thoughts on the article, or on the
pomodadaintergalacticavantgarageklez movement?

shaloha!

jeff dorchen
shloinke

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->