Re: Re[2]: Dating the melodies used in Psalms, cantillation,

re: megillo trope
Yes. As far as I know al lthe German baed kehillos of Wash. Heights do not use
trop for Ss-Ruth-Koheles...

re: emes trop
        I cannnot deny nor confirm the actual history fo the trop.  I am jsut
pointing out that Iyov contains 2 different systems.  My simple (simplistic?)
understanding is that when the mode is "tehillim" like the emes is used (e.g.
Mishle and the most of Iyov)

        Now this above theory has to take into account Shmuel and other points
of tanahc (ezra, Diveri Hayomim, Yeshaya) that use Tehillim like passages
wouthou emes trop.  Nu go figure.

        And I strongly suspect that none of the cantillation meoldies refelct
the original melodies taht wer in the beis hamikdosh.  I base this on several
reasons:

1) the melodies sound VERY local.  yemenite trop does not sound like German
Trop.
2) There probably was a conscous effort to avoid reproducing certina beis
hamikdosh melodies  - remember sihu lonu mishir Tsiyon?  I suspect that a smilar
thing happened follwiing churban bayis sheine. (NO I have no evidence, jsut
intuition.)

On the otehr hand, the system of trop is highly consistent as far as elucidating
the phrasing of Tanach.  Any coscienscious baal koreh will sense immeidately how
to phrase any of the 24 books knowing just the rudements of the rules and a bit
of ivrei.

EG Ani Hashem elokeichem is occasionally translated as I YHYH, am your God.
it's beautiful, but unfaithful.  the meircho tipcho clearly points to I am YHYH,
your God.  Now any darshan will override trop to make a drosho work.  But in the
real of Peshat, they should behave according to the rules.  ein mikro yotsei
midei negninoso <poetic license>

Regards,
Rich Wolpoe