Re: Identity in Klezmer

In a message dated 6/4/98 5:56:21 PM Central Daylight Time, mhd (at)
world(dot)std(dot)com
writes:

<< >I think that in Israel there was no revival to klezmer, because there
 >was no
 >need for it as the whole life was full with Jewish culture and
 >tradition.

 To put it mildly, I disagree.  How can you be "filled with Jewish culture
 and tradition" without the Yiddish language and culture (including Klezmer
 music)? >>

OK, I'm coming to the aid of this comment because I believe that the ikar of
it wasn't that you have to have Yiddish language and culture to be cultural,
but that if one strips off ones native trappings when being reborn as an
immigrant, that initially liberating experience may leave the future
generation bereft of an inheritance.  I think that is what Mark D. meant,
whether that shedding of the old is Ashekenazic, Sephardic, or other
traditions and folkways.

Lori Lippitz

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->