Re[2]: Identity in Klezmer

Dear List,
        Indeed this discussion has been revived again!  Just who is a Jew?
(Please pardon me as  I mount my soap box.)

Culturally speaking her are my humble opinions...

1)  Yiddish/Klezmer is no better and no worse than any other of our traditions
that include "Oriental" Jews as well as Western European.  I don't think that
Yiddish culture should be denigrated nor ignored; on the other hand, I think it
is ighly Eastern-Eurocentric to equate Jewish cutlure with "yiddish" culture.
One can be a good Jew and know nothing of Yiddish, then again one cannot
possibly no the totality of Jewish culture without knowing a lot of Yiddish.

2)  I don't buy the my rebbe is better than your rebbe scenario above and I
don't think it's relevant today.  I think all of us Yiddn, religious, secular,
etc. should live in the present.  As a history major, I have immense kovod
(respect) for our traditions.  I think we SHOULD preerve them.  However, they do
not necessarily dictate what klezmer SHOULD be etc.  There is no reason that we
Americans or Western Europeans or Israelis cannot come up with as valid a
klezmer style as Moldavians, Romanains, Hungarians, Ukrainians did 75 years ago.
 I really think it's illogical to impose what WAS on what IS.  By and large we
are NOT living in Kishinev and all of us are NOT living in Kishinve circa 1910!
That stuff was and is beautiful, but NOT mandatory.  Bottom line we should
respect the past, but not live in the past.

3)  Bascially repeating point #2.  Why not come up with our own American Jewish
culture that incorporates the old world stuf fbut goes beyond it?  When Jews
migrated to Eastern Europe, they were not afraid of picking up Eastern European
styles?  Why should Americans be afraid of Western styles?  I think we can still
preserve the old world classics and still move on.

Good Shabbos to all,
Rich Wolpoe,
Chairman of "Traditionalists for Progress.