Strolling & tipping customs

In Sam Ulano's book _How to Be in the Music Business_ (NY, 1962),
he says that strolling at (Jewish) weddings had been the fashion
years before, had gone out of style, but in recent years was back
in fashion.  True or not?  I was wondering also how similar klezmer
strolling and tipping customs are to Hungarian Gypsy and Romanian
Gypsy music, which I'm more familiar with.

The Hungarian Gypsies (minus the cimbalom player, who either plays
at his stationary instrument, doesn't play, or plays viola) stroll
from table to table, playing requests (usually three), with the
customer sometimes singing the song.  Afterwards he tips the leader.
The tips are afterwards divided equally (U.S.) or divided so that the
primas gets a double share (Hungarians---this was true when Sandor
Jaroka was in the U.S. in the '70s, anyway).  The strolling happens
after the dinner is over and things are looser.

Romanians sometimes stroll at restaurants, but not usually.  Tips are
placed in a container like a jar on the stage floor, usually after a
request.  Occasionally, they may do it Greek style and slap a wet bill
onto the musician's forehead.

I haven't been to a Ukrainian wedding, but the older tsimbalys had a
little cut-out hole in the corner of the soundboard, so that the money
could be emptied out after the wedding.  I've read that among the
Volga Germans, dancers would tip the musicians (putting money on the
dulcimer) before dancing.

So----where tipping and strolling are concerned, how is (and has) it
done at traditional Jewish weddings?

Paul Gifford