Re: Strolling & tipping customs

Lori/  Maxwell St <MaxwellSt (at) aol(dot)com> wrote:

> My experience is that we are rarely tipped.  It happens with Israelis and
> Russians on occasion, but usually after being bargained first.  This is
> interesting:  the point is not to pay less, but not to pay more than you have
> to, afterwards you can show your largesse.

Maybe it's a question of Americanization.  The Romanian immigrants I
know rarely get anything less than a ten-dollar bill, usually
twenties, and not infrequently hundreds.  The Hungarian Gypsies I
mentioned, who are American-born, and tend to play for general
audiences, A five-dollar bill is more common (as are singles), though
once I recall a mafioso tipping them with a hundred.

Paul Gifford

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->