Re: FW: clarinet music

Dear Reyzl,
>A friend is looking for the sheet music (preferably for clarinet) for Benny
>Goodman's "And the Angels Sing."  He wants it so that a student can play the
>klezmer solo as a Bar Mitzvah project, and he hopes that learning it will
>create another follower of our music.
>Do you know anyone who can help?
If anyone can, ask them to reply to helenerj (at) aol(dot)com>Sincerely, Helene

I play the tune but not sure if have sheet music., because learnt by ear.
will search and email Helen if find it unless someone else gets it first!

HOWEVER does anyone know what happened to the big band arrangements from
the 1910's to the 1940's in America. ie "Yiddish/Jewish"
bigbands/orchestras or "American" ensembles that included klezmer repertoire?

Over the weekend I led a 15 piece klezmer band for a concert and have been
asked to do it again. I am keen to keep the band going however I'd like to
reduce the amount of time I spent doing arrangements/rehearsals. Also from
the point of view of authenticity it would be great to know what was going
on in those American ensembles.
I'm aware  that a lot of the small/medium ensembles used "head"
arrangements like jazz musoes but I reckon that the larger groups must have
had scored, written out arrangements, especially for the string players. (I
work with a core of musoes and as jazz players, we can all fake
arrangements - within limitations)

Any information based on personal collections, libraries, archives, printed
sheet music collections or other suggestions etc would be welcome.

thankyou,
Ernie Gruner
PS In performing and introducing this music I believe strongly that
composers, arrangers and brief historical backgrounds/contexts should be
mentioned.
PPS An Irish friend who is a fine player of the ueillian pipes, but also
has studied composition and music technology, has offered to do some of the
above. Using midi and clever programs he reckons he could pull off and
print individual parts from some of my C.D.s (eg Dave Tarras, Emil Bruh
orchestras etc). I find this more than slightly amazing...also maybe a bit
disturbing.
The way we met was related. He invited me to his studio to assist with the
transcription of a "klezmer tune" which he'd been asked to perform for a
theatre piece. He'd been given a tape of a solo cello playing a tune. He
fed the tape thru his computer set up - and out popped the print music.
However, what came out looked very strange, because of rubato, ornaments,
the occasional mistake etc. My job was to recognise the piece and show him
how to sound more "authentic". I soon realised the piece was actually a
recent improvisation probably by the cellist partly based on klezmer but
also on a bunch of other styles. This turned out to be correct.
Moral is : computer technology can be a great thing but the human interface
is critical!

Ernie Gruner - Fiddler and Violinist (klezmer,classical, jazz,celtic)
KALEIDOSCOPE MUSIC
2 Cole Crescent, East Coburg 3058, Victoria,  AUSTRALIA   (Melbourne)
E-mail: erniegru (at) mira(dot)net
INTERNATIONAL: Phone 61 3 9386 7108   Fax 61 3 9386 0947   (Mobile: 0418
549 631)

TRAVEL DATES: KLEZMER STUDY TRIP
USA:         San Francisco : May 12 - 18    >>>   New York :  May 18 -31
EUROPE:  Jun 1 - Aug 3
milan/austria/budapest/vienna/cracow/slovakia/hungary/rumania/hungary/prague
/berlin/amsterdam
USA (tbc):  Milwaukee/Chicago :  Aug 3 - 8         San Francisco : Aug 8-17

(All offers of cups of tea, music sessions, klezmer events, beds/shelter
are welcome- I'll be with my wife Cathy and 2 toddlers+sleeping bags,
living cheap or free hopefully)

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->