RE: Nitl & cantors

Am cleaning up my overstuffed computer and found this letter
that I wrote in January but didn't get to send of.  It's a
moot point by now, but I am sending it off for sake of the
historical record.

David,

I am sorry that I didn't have time to comment or thank you for
sending in this post.   I have spoken to several folklorists about
this including one that has given several talks about Jews and
Christmas and they all agreed that this was a good joke yeshivah
guys liked to make, but no one knows of any source for Jews having
actually done this on nitl.

As for why tear up toilet paper ahead of time for Shabes, I assumed
that everyone here was already familiar with the halakhik ruling.
What I remember of my days in Brooklyn Hasidic yeshivas and shuls
(1960's) was that they never had rolls of toilet paper.   They
always had packets of small folded individual sheets already cut
up for you in case you used the toilet on Shabbes.  Many old shuls
still have those special vertical dispensers on the doors of their
stall, kept empty nowadays.  That was another reason why this
story was unlikely, at least in America.

Reyzl